Here's a fun recipe for a tasty shortbread cookie that is oh-so-perfect for Valentine's Day. But of course, you could do it in any shape at any time of year. They are a close kin to the raspberry jam thumbprints we made around the holidays. But this time we used strawberry jam (my new fave), and you should take it upon yourself to use whatever jam you are currently loving.
Bread & Honey many moons ago) is quite easy to make, even with grabby toddler hands about.
Heart-Shaped Jam Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Strawberry jam
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt: add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition until blended. Stir in vanilla extract. Divide dough into 2 equal portions; wrap each portion in plastic wrap to prevent drying out. Chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove from fridge and let soften for a bit then roll cookie dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. (You may need to add a little more milk if it seems dry.) Cut with a heart-shaped cutter, and place on greased baking sheets. Cut center from half of cookies with a 1-inch round cutter or smaller heart-shaped cutter or any small cutter of your choice.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Spread 1/2 teaspoon jam on solid cookies; top with cutout cookies.