The recipe I used was based off of Ina Garten's recipe over at FoodNetwork.com. I cut the salt based on reviewer recommendations and I started off with Greek yogurt rather than bothering to strain regular yogurt.
modified from Ina Garten's
- 16 oz Greek yogurt (I used Oikos)
- 1 cucumber, unpeeled and seeded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
Grate the cucumber and toss it with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt; place it in a sieve, and set it over a bowl. Let drain for an hour.
Put the Greek yogurt in a bowl. Squeeze as much liquid from the cucumber as you can and add the cucumber to the yogurt. Mix in the sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Serve chilled or at room temperature.